Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sapitals

The history
One dark, rainy afternoon (or maybe it was a perfectly dry afternoon—I don’t remember), I noticed that I had developed a habit of using capital letters here and there, a habit I had not had in the first fourteen years of my existence. On deeper contemplation, I realized that the habit had been acquired as a result of long association with a certain Ms. Deyasini Dasgupta who had induced it to me.
So, when she came online, I decided to make her day by informing her in a sentence that I had got capitals from her.
However, one little quirk of destiny—(finger, rather)---ensured that the sentence would make history.

Me: I’ve got sapitals from you!
Now, I could easily have put a *capitals in the next line and drawn an end to it, but for some reason, I didn’t. Let’s see what she makes of the word, I thought.
Sapitals? What are sapitals? A volley of questions ensued immediately, which made me resolved not to correct the mistake at all. It occurred to me that an unknown word like that could imply various things for various people, and it would be fun to see how different people could interpret the same word differently!
Thereupon, ladies and gentlemen, began the Grand Sapital Quest.

The quest
So I set about to collect meanings for the word. And the more I did, the more amazed I was at the variety of the answers I got. But I succeeded in tracing a pattern in most of the replies, and it became rather fascinating to watch for the underlying patterns beneath the answers, and how the answers revealed something about what kind of the person the answerer was.

Now, the job wasn’t all that easy. Many people I tried to chat up went invisible, muttering curses. 
On certain occasions, I got accused of being "high", but at least I got answers! Some chats earned me questionable compliments.

 me: Hey!
ramyajit: hello
 me: I don't even know you: but still, will you mind if i ask you a very weird question? If you aren't busy, that is.
...[chat ensues]
 ramyajit: hmm.....u know u r a bit strange.

“A BIT strange”? Should I be happy that he mentioned “a bit”?
I suppose I should be thankful.

Out of self respect, I leave out the insults of the three girls, one of whom called me mental, another accused of whom accused me of "pressurising the volatile mind", another who informed me I was "spamming her for the 17th time" because my SMS provider goofed up.


The meanings
But nothing can daunt Lady Roy that easily. I did manage to collect 19 meanings (spending about 35 SMSs, and one ice cream in the process). 
So here follows the list of all the answers I got--

      1. Devpriyo:
Taal kheyechis konodin?

 Oi je 3te khob thake? [he meant taaler shaash]
Those khobs can be called sapitals according to me.
:)

  2. Rohitashwa:
They are obnoxious brown coloured noses, which when let go from a height, do not follow the laws of gravitation, but soar upwards and fly away into the night.

  3. Rohan:

Scandinavian mermaids.

 [Deyasini added:  As enchanting as Circe, as tender as the whisperings of the pines, as beautiful as the sunset from the peak of the high mountains draped in furs of snowy white...]

 4. Deyasini: 
Sepia hints of melodious prosaic poetry in words and thoughts floating gently in the wind and flying with the clouds, etched on the fabrics of time, and represents vaguely what your feelings are..


 5. Niladri :
 I would say it is a state of mind...when you are not sure of something....u feel like u want it but not sure if u deserve it....

 6. Sumit: 
Sapitals i think must be referring to some kind of person whose decision making capability is questionable.

 7. Ratul:

 A struggling guitarist!!

 8. Koushiki:

 Capital sapiens, rather, the awesome beings that we are..

 9. Shuvroda(or is it Shubhro?):

 SAP bole ekta company ache, tader capital investment division er naam hote pare.
 Ba Mittal er natir naam Sapital Mittal.

 Or...swapner taal gach. 

 10. Amrita:

 It could be another word for ascent of sap.

 11. Adrija:

 Semi capitals. You know, when you're not sure of your punctuation, and use something an between small and capital letters!

 12. Sohham:

  Me thinks it's some sort of green gooey plant juice. Works wonders for boils.

 13. Prithviraj:

 Well, to me it means going nowhere. Small capitals. They've got to cancel each other out, right?

 14. Aditi:

 A wet slimy snaky slithery something?

 15. Barnamala:
 Sister of capitals? Maybe when a region has more than one capital, the other extras functioning at particular times of the year, they are termed as sister capitals or sapitals.

 Or maybe the petals of some rare, sepia-coloured flower.

 16. Ramyajit:

 Er, it could be the name of some plant part.

 17. Poudhi:

 A new galaxy to be discovered by me!

 18. Debayudh:

 Something related to literature, like a definite metre used in a poem.

20. Sreyam:
 A very strong laxative and cure for constipation, 15 long trips to the bathroom a day - Guaranteed.


The future
You are entitled to question exactly what I gained from this whole process of lunacy. And honestly, I don't have an answer. But hell, it was fun! What more reason can anyone want?
However, I have lofty dreams regarding the future.
me: i'm always trying to articulate things and never cusseeding!
 Riddle: cusseding. yes, i can guess.
 me: new word!
  yay!
 Riddle: right.
 me: Typos are good things!
 Riddle: we are making new words very frequently these days.
 me: I like them!
 Riddle: yes, sometimes.
 me: Sapitals, cusseding...we just need a few more typos and then we can write a dictionary.
 Riddle: well, you are on the right track.
  just keep this up.
 me: It will sell like hot cakes1
 Riddle: in all likelihood.
 me: And...we'll have all the money we need to buy processors for our band!
  And then we can make superhits!
 Riddle: Right. that will be very nice.
 me: And then our songs will sell like hot cakes too!
 Riddle: yeah.
  And we'll be rich,
  good.
 me: And we'll give the money to you, so u wont need to get into 9 to 5 job!
  And we'll all live happily together ever after!






7 comments:

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

Baaaprey. :-)

Dev said...

Whoa! An absolute brainwave, deer girl.

Say, on comparative analysis, mine was imaginative and natural. It was a good combo.

"Sister of capitals? Maybe when a region has more than one capital, the other extras functioning at particular times of the year, they are termed as sister capitals or sapitals."--ROFL! Funniest according to me.

Roro of course does the THING with that nose of his. As in, the interpretation. :D

Sreyam's good. Rat's well, Rat's Rat.

Deyasini flies! And Rohan?? sheesh.

but Muhleddy! YOUR meaning? We shan't sit quiet if you deny us the star of the show. C'mon folks, protest.

Lively future prospects, as i said before.

wv: ligavers!

Anti Neutrino said...

Yeah, that's right! Tell us what you made of this flummoxing word.

(Sigh... if I'd ever known I'd get as much of fame as to be published right on your front page, I think I'd have given a bit more thought to the word "sapitals" and ignored completely that your 17 repetitions of the same sms had sluttered up the inbox of my 1970 model cell phone!)


- Srijata

Bill said...

If I had known that this is what U intended to make out of sapitals, I would have reflected a bit more on it.Anyway, amazing work! Keep having brainwaves of this sort all yourlife and keep inventing more words in days to come.

Kiki said...

so thats the story! I was like, totally flummoxed!
how about kooddles? google suggests it!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Avirup Saha said...

And it's me who gets blocked for spamming the shit out of people. Speak for yourself, punkass!